Overview of the departmentThe Department of Endoscopic Medicine is responsible for endoscopic examination and treatment. Those procedures are performed by physicians of specialized departments, including the Department of Gastroenterology, Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Division of Respiratory Medicine, and Department of Thoracic Surgery.
Diseases diagnosed and treated in our department
We are responsible for treating patients with gastrointestinal diseases, such as reflux esophagitis, esophageal cancer, esophageal varices, gastritis, gastric ulcers, gastric cancer, duodenal ulcers, enteritis, large intestinal polyps, colorectal cancer, ulcerative colitis, and Crohn’s disease, and respiratory diseases, such as lung cancer. Emergencies of hematemesis/melena/obstructive jaundice are managed by endoscopic procedure on a 24-hour system.
Time schedule of routine examination and treatment
Upper gastrointestinal/sigmoid colon endoscopy is performed in the mornings of Monday to Friday. In the afternoon, colonoscopy, endoscopic ultrasonography, bronchoscopy, and various types of specific endoscopy/treatment are conducted. The most advanced examinations and treatments of various fields are provided by specialists.
Primary examinations in outpatient and procedures in admission
・Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy: Esophagus, stomach, and duodenum
・Lower gastrointestinal endoscopy: Large intestine
・Endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS): Esophagus, stomach, large intestine, pancreas, and gallbladder
・Capusule endoscopy (samall intestine and colon)
・Bronchoscopy: Trachea, bronchus
Procedures and treatments in admission
・ESD of digestive tract (esophagus/ stomach/ duodeum/ colon/rectum)
・Endoscopic treatments (polypectomy/mucosal resection) for colorectal tumor
・Double-balloon enteroscopy for the diagnosis/treatment of diseases in small intestine
Fields of expertise
1) Endoscopic treatment for esophageal/gastric/colorectal cancers (including ESD)
2) Endoscopic sclerotherapy/ligation for gastric and esophageal varices (EIS/EVL)
3) Endoscopic treatment for biliary tract/pancreatic duct
4) Endoscopic stenting for malignant stenosis of the bile duct
5) Endoscopic stenting for malignant stenosis of the digestive tract
6) Endoscopic ultrasonography-guided fine needle aspiration (EUS-FNA)-based diagnosis/treatment
7) Diagnosis/treatment using double-balloon enteroscopy for diseases of small intestine
8) Detailed examination of the small/large intestines using capsule endoscopy
9) Ultrasonic bronchoscopy-guided fine needle aspiration-based diagnosis
Advanced medical practice
1) Endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD)
In the Department of Endoscopic Medicine, ESD has been performed as endoscopic treatment for early cancer of digestive tract (esophagus/ stomach/ duodeum/ colon/rectum) by specialists of department of gastroenterology. Favorable results have been obtained.
2) Double-balloon enteroscopy (DBE)/ capsule endoscopy(CE) for small intestine
In April 2014, the introduction of double-balloon enteroscopy (DBE) has facilitated. DBE and capsule endoscopy(CE) will provide an endoscopic procedure of high-quality for the diagnosis and treatment of small intestinal diseases.
3) Capsule colonoscopy(CE) for colon
Since April 2014, capsule endoscopy for detailed examination of the colon has been introduced. Capsule colonoscopy(CE) will adopted to the patient in whom previous conventional colonoscopy had been difficult or failure due to pain .
EUS-FNA system has been established. This system makes it possible to conduct biopsies of submucosal tumor (SMT) of gastrointestinal tumor, extra-digestive-tract lymph node and pancreatic tumor.